Using a computer at the Portage Public Library is simple, and there are many options:
- Six (6) Internet Computers in Adult Services (60 minutes)
- One (1) Express Internet Station in Adult Services (15 minutes)
- One (1) ADA Accessible Internet Computer in Adult Services (60 minutes)
- Six (6) Laptops for use on Tech Tuesdays and by request in Adult Services (no time limit)
Internet Computers for Residents with a Portage (or Any Other South Central Library System Library) Card
Internet Computers for Non-Residents
If you do not have a Public Library Card in the South Central Library System, simply visit the customer service desk and ask to use a computer. Library staff will give you a temporary login slip. Take it to an available computer and log in using the information provided on the slip. Be sure to return the slip when you are finished.
Express Internet Stations
We have 1 Express Internet Station in Adult Services that is available for 15 minutes sessions that are free for those with or without a Library Card. If you do have a Library Card, just follow the same instructions for logging in to our regular Internet Computers. If you do not have a Library Card, follow the instructions above for use of internet computers for non-residents.
Reserving a Computer
If you would like to reserve a computer, follow this link: Reservations
We understand that you concerned about your privacy when using public computers at the Library. At the end of each timed session our computers automatically reboot, wipe any files added to the computer, and clear search histories, so personal information should never stay on our computers and will not be available to any other users.
What’s Available on Library Internet Computers?
We have lots to offer on our computers:
- Internet browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer
- Operating System: Windows 7
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Access
- LinkCAT Online Catalog: link to our catalog to search for books, movies, music and more
- Research & Learning: available through the link to our website, check out one of the many research and learning databases and tools available to you for free
- Headphones for your listening enjoyment (just ask the reference librarian at the information desk)
- DVD/CD drives for listening, watching, or storing data (available on some computers)
- USB Ports: Insert your USB/Flash drives to work with saved documents (we also sell them at the information desk)
What's Available on the Laptops?
Our laptops offer everything that our Internet Computers have except that there is no time limit on your session. These computers are intended to be for those that have time consuming projects to work on or research to do, so they are ideal for those looking for work or applying for jobs and those who are taking proctored exams.
For the Visually & Mobility Impaired
Our computers do have a few tools for the visually and mobility impaired users:
- Magnifier: This tool will magnify text
- Narrator: This tool will convert text to speech
- On-Screen Keyboard: This tool will put a keyboard on the screen so that you can type with mouse clicks, rather than with the physical keyboard